This test is one of the only ways for our specialists in our Fort Lauderdale office to investigate the complex and intricate blood flow system of the eye. The BFA results assist in the management and detection of glaucoma as well as other circulatory abnormalities involving diabetes, hypertension and retinal disorders.
The Ocular Blood Flow Analyzer:
- Provides a fast, clinically proven measurement that improves detection of glaucoma suspects. Studies have indicated that blood flow is significantly compromised in many eyes with normal-tension glaucoma, with and without field loss.
- Assists in the management of glaucoma, and detection of other circulatory abnormalities involving diabetes, retinal and carotid disorders.
Ocular pressure rises and falls with each heartbeat. This pressure waveform is created when the bolus of blood from each heartbeat passes through the ocular choroid. The systolic increase and diastolic decrease in intraocular pressure caused by the pulsatile ocular blood flow is accurately recorded by the BFA providing important information about the vascular network in the eye.
The clinical benefits of the BFA include:
- Identify low and normal-tension glaucoma suspects who tend to have significantly lower ocular blood flows than normal.
- Identify vascular disorders in patients such as internal carotid stenosis.
- Monitor ocular and systemic drugs that have the potential to modify ocular blood flow. This is particularly true of beta and calcium level blockers.
Appointments can be scheduled on Tuesday and Friday as early as 8:30 am upon request.
For emergencies, call 911 or our main number for the answering service to reach the doctor on call.