The Clear Lens Exchanges(CLE) offered at our office in Fort Lauderdale is considered to be one of the several refractive surgery options available today. Other refractive surgery options, such as LASIK, LASEK and PRK modify the shape of the cornea, unlike the Clear Lens Exchange procedure which replaces the natural lens.
This procedure is similar to modern cataract surgery in that the physician replaces the natural lens with an artificial intraocular lens implant to achieve sharper focus. The implant used can be either the standard type or one of the Advanced Technology Implants.
The difference between cataract surgery and CLE is the clarity of the natural lens when it is removed. In cataract surgery, the natural lens is removed because it has become cloudy and interferes with a patients day to day functions. In CLE, the natural lens is clear or has only minimal clouding which may not be adversely affecting the patients day to day functioning.
The clear lens exchange procedure is recommended for:
- Patients who have either severe nearsightedness or farsightedness.
- Patients who have presbyopia.
- Patients who wish to eliminate their dependence on eyeglasses or contact lenses.
- Patients who are showing signs (even without symptoms) of the beginnings of cataracts.
- Patients over 50 years of age and considering another form of refractive surgery. Having LASIK after age 50 can make standard cataract surgery more complex when needed later in life.
- Patients who are poor candidates for other refractive procedures such as LASIK, LASEK or PRK.
Before considering this option, or any refractive procedure, thorough testing is done in our office at Fort Lauderdale. Followed by a complete review of your personal goals and a detailed discussion of any risks this procedure may present in your particular case.
Read more about Vision Surgery
For procedures not covered by insurance we offer Financing Options